Monday, August 13, 2012

Refinished Jewelry Box

I love paint. Paint, paint, paint! I have oil paints, acrylic paints, latex and enamel paints. I paint in watercolor, black Japanese paint and fabric paint. I just thought I'd point that out since I'm guessing that most of this blog will be about something I painted. Nuff said....

Garage sales and I go waaaaay back. It's more a part of me than the blood running through my veins. I get up early EVERY Saturday to head out and usually end back at home around 4:00pm. It's like a job, only fun. I've been an ebay re-seller for over 13 years and can't see that I"ll ever stop. So I'm always looking for, and finding, some great bargains - though I doubt I'll ever beat this one.

Found this beauty for a buck - uno dinero - one whole dollar






Yuk, right? Let me explain...... I saw the possibilities immediately (I have Superwoman vision when it comes to these things). The wood is solid, the hinges were tight and the piece is fairly heavy - and the drawers are all lined in velvet! It's really quite large as well at 19" tall.  I knew it was old but sheesh! what the heck did someone do to it??? There was this weird punched tin all over it. There was a pirate ship on the top (yes, that's what I said), a sunflower on the side, and roses on the front. What a combo! So I stripped all these tin pieces off (and most were hanging off already as you can see) and then removed all the pretty hardware - which you can't even really see at this point. So down to the bare bones it was....


See? The hardware is AWESOME!

I sanded very little because there really wasn't a lot of paint on this to begin with. Coming up with a color scheme for this was difficult because there soooo many that would have worked with it. But being the simple person I am, I wanted to make it so that it could be used with any decor colors, so neutral it was. Now, I didn't take any pictures of the painting along the way so I'll just show it to you now and explain a little of what I did..... ready???

Before.......


and after.....
aaaaaaaahhhhhh...... so much more pleasing to look at.

Here are some details close up:




I used rubber stamps on the doors and drawer (no, I didn't draw those myself). I think the two-tone neutral colors work well together. What do you think? This is also available for sale in my etsy shop here:  Sorry but this piece is now SOLD!


I hope you enjoyed this little makeover - stay tuned for "The Little Red Nightstand That Could!"

No comments:

Post a Comment